Hamas gives ‘initial’ approval to plan for pause in Gaza fighting

Published February 2, 2024
A displaced Palestinian woman sits by a tent while sheltering in a UNRWA school in Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip February 1, 2024. — Reuters
A displaced Palestinian woman sits by a tent while sheltering in a UNRWA school in Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip February 1, 2024. — Reuters

GAZA CITY: Hamas has given its “initial” approval to a planned humanitarian pause in Gaza Strip and a prisoner exchange with Israel, a Qatari official said on Thursday.

But a source close to Hamas said there was no agreement yet on the proposal. “There is no agreement on the framework of the agreement yet as the factions have important observations and the Qatari statement is rushed and not true,” the source explained.

The source had said earlier this week after a meeting in Paris that Hamas is reviewing a three-stage plan which would start with a six-week halt to the fighting and more aid deliveries into Gaza Strip. Officials from the United States, Egypt, Israel and Qatar had attended the meeting.

Only “women, children and sick men over 60” held by Gaza fighters would be freed during that stage in exchange for Palestinian prisoners in Israel, the source said.

There would also be “negotiations around the withdrawal of Israeli forces”, with possible additional phases involving more prisoner exchanges, said the source.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has ruled out withdrawing troops from Gaza and has repeatedly vowed to destroy Hamas.

Netanyahu has also opposed releasing thousands“ of Palestinian prisoners as part of any deal.

Qatar-based Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh was expected in Cairo on Friday for consultations on proposals discussed in Paris.

In Doha, Qatar’s foreign ministry spokesman Majed Al Ansari said: “The meeting in Paris succeeded in consolidating the (ceasefire) proposals.”

“That proposal has been approved by the Israeli side and now we have an initial positive confirmation from the Hamas side.”

119 killed in Israeli strikes

The Israeli army said on Thursday troops had destroyed a long-range missile launcher in the embattled southern city of Khan Yunis.

According to the health ministry in Gaza, 119 people were killed in the latest night of strikes, while aid and health workers have for days reported heavy fighting.

“There is a massacre taking place right now,” said Leo Cans of international aid group Doctors Without Borders.

The UN also reported heavy bombardment across Gaza, particularly in Khan Yunis, while it said 184,000 more Palestinians from the city had registered to receive humanitarian assistance after fleeing their homes in recent days.

Published in Dawn, February 2nd, 2024

Opinion

From hard to harder

From hard to harder

Instead of ‘hard state’ turning even harder, citizens deserve a state that goes soft on them in delivering democratic and development aspirations.

Editorial

Canal unrest
Updated 03 Apr, 2025

Canal unrest

With rising water scarcity in Indus system, it is crucial to move towards a consensus-driven policymaking process.
Iran-US tension
03 Apr, 2025

Iran-US tension

THE Trump administration’s threats aimed at Iran do not bode well for global peace, and unless Washington changes...
Flights to history
03 Apr, 2025

Flights to history

MOHENJODARO could have been the forgotten gold we desperately need. Instead, this 5,000-year-old well of antiquity ...
Eid amidst crises
Updated 31 Mar, 2025

Eid amidst crises

Until the Muslim world takes practical steps to end these atrocities, these besieged populations will see no joy.
Women’s rights
Updated 01 Apr, 2025

Women’s rights

Such judgements, and others directly impacting women’s rights should be given more airtime in media.
Not helping
Updated 02 Apr, 2025

Not helping

If it's committed to peace in Balochistan, the state must draw a line between militancy and legitimate protest.