RAWALPINDI: Punjab Minister for Primary and Secondary Healthcare Khawaja Imran Nazir on Monday said the government has allocated Rs7 billion for provision of free medicines in the healthcare centres of the province.

“In the last few months, shortage of medicines was created many times deliberately. The health department has identified around 375 corrupt employees involved in this practice and action will be taken against them,” he told media persons at the commissioner office.

Accompanied by Commissioner Aamir Khattak, Deputy Commissioner Dr Hassan Waqar Cheema, the minister said the situation in hospitals will improve in coming days, adding interviews were going on to fill the vacant posts of doctors.

He said Holy Family Hospital and other hospitals were going to be connected with the command and control system.

“Government hospitals will not refuse admission to patients under any circumstances; however, on need basis sometimes two patients are placed on one bed,” he said.

He said efforts were being made for the security of doctors and protection of the rights of patients and their families. In emergency units, one-patient-one-attendant policy will be followed.

Earlier, the minister presided over a meeting held to review the anti-dengue and measles campaign which was attended by concerned officials.

The minister said measles cases were gradually decreasing and this downward trend will continue in coming days.

He said Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz was monitoring the drive to control measles cases.

He said eight children had died of measles in Rawalpindi. A total of 496 measles patients have been reported till now. In Attock, there were 34 cases, in Jhelum 47, and 154 patients of measles were reported in Chakwal.

A briefing was given to the minister on arrangements being made for the prevention of dengue in Rawalpindi district.

The minister said a member of parliament will supervise the drive in every two union councils of Rawalpindi.

He said the Rawalpindi Health Department should address past deficiencies in dengue control and continue efforts against the disease diligently.

The presence of dengue patients even in the hot season is alarming, he added.

“Citizens and government have to work jointly to eradicate dengue.”

He said efforts against dengue had been going on for many years, so it was necessary that citizens also show responsibility and eliminate breeding places of dengue larvae within their houses.

Apart from this, he said, people should also remain alert to deal with the threat of Congo.

Published in Dawn, June 11th, 2024

Opinion

From hard to harder

From hard to harder

Instead of ‘hard state’ turning even harder, citizens deserve a state that goes soft on them in delivering democratic and development aspirations.

Editorial

Canal unrest
Updated 03 Apr, 2025

Canal unrest

With rising water scarcity in Indus system, it is crucial to move towards a consensus-driven policymaking process.
Iran-US tension
03 Apr, 2025

Iran-US tension

THE Trump administration’s threats aimed at Iran do not bode well for global peace, and unless Washington changes...
Flights to history
03 Apr, 2025

Flights to history

MOHENJODARO could have been the forgotten gold we desperately need. Instead, this 5,000-year-old well of antiquity ...
Eid amidst crises
Updated 31 Mar, 2025

Eid amidst crises

Until the Muslim world takes practical steps to end these atrocities, these besieged populations will see no joy.
Women’s rights
Updated 01 Apr, 2025

Women’s rights

Such judgements, and others directly impacting women’s rights should be given more airtime in media.
Not helping
Updated 02 Apr, 2025

Not helping

If it's committed to peace in Balochistan, the state must draw a line between militancy and legitimate protest.