ISLAMABAD: Users of the Zong cellular company faced disruptions to mobile and data services in multiple cities on Thursday, reportedly due to the installation of a new web management system (WMS).

The network’s customers, including corporate clients, reported connectivity issues around noon and posted on social media about service degradation and even sudden blackout of service.

While there was no official response from the company or telecom regulator, Pakistan Telecom­munication Authority on these issues, Zong acknowledged the disruptions while responding to users’ complaints on social media.

Incidentally, the most serious disruptions were reported by users in Karachi where no security-related jamming has been reported, as is the case in the federal capital ahead of the SCO moot, nor have any restrictions been imposed there, as has been the case in parts of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.

PTA sources say ‘firewall’ upgrade to be completed by October-end

M. Sarfaraz, who works for a private firm in Islamabad, complained about weak signals and complete blackout of mobile data services around 11:30am.

“The first thing that came to my mind was that authorities must be testing jammers in Islamabad, later I realised that only the Zong connection had very weak signals,” he added.

In its reply to a user through its official X account, Zong said: “Our Network services are now back to normal. Sorry for the inconvenience caused earlier. We appreciate your patience and understanding. You should now be able to make calls, send texts and browse seamlessly.”

One of the four main mobile operators in the country, Zong has around 26 per cent of the total cellular customer base.

A source in the company attributed the issue to work on the WMS. They said the installation and testing of the content filtration system was in its final phase.

Meanwhile, a senior PTA official told Dawn that a content filtration system or firewall for protection against cyberattacks were being upgraded, which would be completed by the last week of October.

Authorities have also warned of service disruptions in Islamabad during the coming days due to security concerns in the wake of SCO meeting next week and in several KP districts due to the planned Jirga by the recently banned Pashtun Tahaffuz Movement.

“But this is likely to be a short- term disturbance faced by the customers and the service quality will be normal by the end of next week,” the executive added.

Published in Dawn, October 11th, 2024

Opinion

First line of defence

First line of defence

Pakistan’s foreign service has long needed reform to be able to adapt to global changes and leverage opportunities in a more multipolar world.

Editorial

Eid amidst crises
Updated 31 Mar, 2025

Eid amidst crises

Until the Muslim world takes practical steps to end these atrocities, these besieged populations will see no joy.
Women’s rights
Updated 01 Apr, 2025

Women’s rights

Such judgements, and others directly impacting women’s rights should be given more airtime in media.
Not helping
Updated 02 Apr, 2025

Not helping

If it's committed to peace in Balochistan, the state must draw a line between militancy and legitimate protest.
Hard habits
Updated 30 Mar, 2025

Hard habits

Their job is to ensure that social pressures do not build to the point where problems like militancy and terrorism become a national headache.
Dreams of gold
30 Mar, 2025

Dreams of gold

PROSPECTS of the Reko Diq project taking off soon seem to have brightened lately following the completion of the...
No invitation
30 Mar, 2025

No invitation

FOR all of Pakistan’s hockey struggles, including their failure to qualify for the Olympics and World Cup as well...