Top seeds Zverev, Sabalenka advance at Miami Open

Published March 24, 2025
Jack Draper of Great Britain plays a return against Czech Republic’s Jakub Mensik during their Miami Open match at the Hard Rock Stadium.
—AFP
Jack Draper of Great Britain plays a return against Czech Republic’s Jakub Mensik during their Miami Open match at the Hard Rock Stadium. —AFP

MIAMI: World number one Aryna Sabalenka reached the last 16 at the Miami Open when Elena-Gabriela Ruse retired injured on Saturday, while men’s top seed Alexander Zverev beat Jacob Fearnley 6-2, 6-4 to reach the third round.

Sabalenka, who arrived in Miami fresh off a defeat in last week’s Indian Wells final, wrapped up the first set 6-1 before Romanian Ruse was forced to retire with a right thigh injury.

Up next for three-times Grand Slam champion Sabalenka will be American defending Miami champion Danielle Collins, who beat Swiss qualifier Rebeka Masarova 6-4, 3-6, 6-3.

Former world number one Naomi Osaka prevailed 7-6(6), 3-6, 6-4 against American wildcard Hailey Baptiste and will play Italian sixth seed Jasmine Paolini, who advanced when Ons Jabeur retired with a left leg injury while trailing 4-3 in the first set.

Third seed Coco Gauff also progressed with a 6-2, 6-4 win over Greece’s Maria Sakkari while Olympic champion Zheng Qinwen advanced with a 6-1, 7-6(3) win over Taylor Townsend.

Local hope Ashlyn Krueger stunned 26th seed and former US Open runner-up Leylah Fernandez to set up a meeting with Zheng.

On the men’s side, Zverev looked comfortable against British qualifier Fearnley as the German mixed a solid serve with dominance from the baseline while saving the only two break points he faced during the 74-minute match.

For Zverev, who lost at the first hurdle in Indian Wells, the win gave him a German record 145th Masters 1000 win, one more than Tommy Haas. He now faces Australia’s Jordan Thompson.

“Happy to kind of have improved a few things from Indian Wells where I didn’t feel well on the court. I didn’t feel like I played good,” Zverev told reporters. “Hopefully this is just the first of many matches for me here and I can continue playing well.”

Indian Wells champion Jack Draper crashed out 7-6(2), 7-6(3) to Czech Jakub Mensik.

The match was temporarily suspended when a large crowd of Brazilian spectators, who were waiting to watch Joao Fonseca’s clash with Ugo Humbert due next at the same venue, expressed their anger when that match was shifted to the main stadium.

The fans, some of whom had waited for hours at Grandstand, booed as they left the venue, but were delighted when Fonseca later got past Humbert 6-4, 6-3.

“I really liked the decision, because I already played my first round there, so I knew how the court was, the atmosphere,” said the 18-year-old Fonseca.

“I knew there was going to be a lot of Brazilians. The crowd is super nice. It’s an honour seeing a lot of them cheering for me, saying my name every match I win.”

Reilly Opelka rallied to beat Danish 11th seed Holger Rune 4-6, 6-3, 7-6(5) and with Draper, Carlos Alcaraz and Daniil Medvedev all losing this week there are no Indian Wells semi-finalists left in the men’s draw at Miami.

Hong Kong wildcard Coleman Wong stunned 13th seed Ben Shelton 7-6(3), 2-6, 7-6(5) to advance, while Canada’s Denis Shapovalov and American third seed Taylor Fritz also won and will meet in the third round.

Published in Dawn, March 24th, 2025

Opinion

From hard to harder

From hard to harder

Instead of ‘hard state’ turning even harder, citizens deserve a state that goes soft on them in delivering democratic and development aspirations.

Editorial

Canal unrest
Updated 03 Apr, 2025

Canal unrest

With rising water scarcity in Indus system, it is crucial to move towards a consensus-driven policymaking process.
Iran-US tension
03 Apr, 2025

Iran-US tension

THE Trump administration’s threats aimed at Iran do not bode well for global peace, and unless Washington changes...
Flights to history
03 Apr, 2025

Flights to history

MOHENJODARO could have been the forgotten gold we desperately need. Instead, this 5,000-year-old well of antiquity ...
Eid amidst crises
Updated 31 Mar, 2025

Eid amidst crises

Until the Muslim world takes practical steps to end these atrocities, these besieged populations will see no joy.
Women’s rights
Updated 01 Apr, 2025

Women’s rights

Such judgements, and others directly impacting women’s rights should be given more airtime in media.
Not helping
Updated 02 Apr, 2025

Not helping

If it's committed to peace in Balochistan, the state must draw a line between militancy and legitimate protest.