Houthis say US carried out 19 strikes in Yemen

Published March 27, 2025
A member of Houthi security forces holds a fragment of a missile at the site of a US strike in Sanaa, Yemen March 24, 2025. — Reuters
A member of Houthi security forces holds a fragment of a missile at the site of a US strike in Sanaa, Yemen March 24, 2025. — Reuters

SANAA: Houthi media said on Wednesday 19 strikes had hit rebel-held parts of Yemen, mostly Saada, blaming the United States, with the group later announcing they targeted a US warship and Israel.

Al-Masirah TV reported that “the US aggression launched 17 raids on the Saada governorate during the night”, and earlier said two raids hit Amran.

Saba, an Iran-backed news agency, said “the American aggression targeted the Oncology Hospital building in Saada”.

The hospital, which Houthi media said was under construction, was also hit last week.

The rebel health ministry said two civilians were wounded in the latest hospital attack, which they described as “a full-fledged war crime”.

Earlier on Wednesday, a Houthi military spokesperson said the group targeted “enemy warships in the Red Sea, led by the US aircraft carrier Truman” blamed for the Yemen strikes.

The Houthis also claimed a drone attack on Tel Aviv, but did not specify when it occurred. Israel did not report such an attack.

Washington announced a military offensive against the Houthis on March 15, promising to use overwhelming force until the group stopped firing on vessels in the key shipping routes of the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden.

That day saw a wave of US air strikes that officials said killed senior Houthi leaders, and which the Houthis said killed 53 people.

Since then, Houthi-held parts of Yemen have witnessed near-daily attacks that the group has blamed on the United States, with the fighters announcing the targeting of US military ships and Israel.

The Houthis began targeting shipping vessels after the start of the Gaza conflict in Oct 2023, claiming solidarity with Palestinians, but paused their campaign when a ceasefire took effect in Gaza in January.

Earlier this month, they threatened to renew attacks in the vital maritime trade route over Israel’s aid blockade on the Palestinian territory, triggering the first US strikes on Yemen since President Donald Trump took office in January.

Last week, Trump threatened to annihilate the Houthis and warned Tehran against “continuing to aid the group”.

Published in Dawn, March 27th, 2025

Opinion

From hard to harder

From hard to harder

Instead of ‘hard state’ turning even harder, citizens deserve a state that goes soft on them in delivering democratic and development aspirations.

Editorial

Canal unrest
Updated 03 Apr, 2025

Canal unrest

With rising water scarcity in Indus system, it is crucial to move towards a consensus-driven policymaking process.
Iran-US tension
03 Apr, 2025

Iran-US tension

THE Trump administration’s threats aimed at Iran do not bode well for global peace, and unless Washington changes...
Flights to history
03 Apr, 2025

Flights to history

MOHENJODARO could have been the forgotten gold we desperately need. Instead, this 5,000-year-old well of antiquity ...
Eid amidst crises
Updated 31 Mar, 2025

Eid amidst crises

Until the Muslim world takes practical steps to end these atrocities, these besieged populations will see no joy.
Women’s rights
Updated 01 Apr, 2025

Women’s rights

Such judgements, and others directly impacting women’s rights should be given more airtime in media.
Not helping
Updated 02 Apr, 2025

Not helping

If it's committed to peace in Balochistan, the state must draw a line between militancy and legitimate protest.