Bajaur residents want water scheme made operational

Published March 30, 2025
A view of the non-functional drinking water scheme in Bajaur. — Dawn
A view of the non-functional drinking water scheme in Bajaur. — Dawn

BAJAUR: A solar-powered water supply scheme in Khar Bazaar, the main trading hub of the Bajaur district, remains non-functional despite being inaugurated about three years ago.

Local people, including traders, told Dawn that the scheme, equipped with a water filtration plant, was inaugurated by the former deputy commissioner near the sub-office of Rescue 1122 on June 1, 2022.

They said the scheme was completed two years ago, but it was yet to be made operational.

Expressing their disappointment over the prolonged delay in the scheme’s operation, the residents said they had pinned great expectations on the project to alleviate their acute drinking water shortage.

Asad Khan, a trader, told Dawn that the unnecessary delay in functioning of the project raised concerns among traders and residents in Khar as they had been assured by the officials that the scheme would be operational by December 2022.

Sohil Khan, a resident of Khar town, said Khar traders’ association had raised the issue with officials of the district administration many times, but to no avail.

He urged the district administration and the relevant authorities to make the facility operational at the earliest.

Meanwhile, an official source familiar with the matter told Dawn that the drinking water supply scheme constructed by the local government and rural development department (LG&RD) at an estimated cost of Rs5.147 million remained non-functional due to lack of pipelines connecting the scheme to the beneficiary community.

The source also acknowledged that the continued non-functioning of the scheme was causing damage to the costly equipment.

When contacted, an official of LG&RD, the executing agency of the project, confirmed the issue.

He said the facility remained non-operational due to lack of pipeline connections to the streets.

Work on the pipeline connections, whose cost was separate from the rest of the project, was halted after funds for this component were not released, the official, who wished to be unnamed, said, adding some sections of the pipeline connections had already been completed.

The official didn’t specify the required funds, but expressed optimism that the scheme would be operational soon as they received assurances from the provincial finance department to provide the necessary funds promptly.

Published in Dawn, March 30th, 2025

Opinion

First line of defence

First line of defence

Pakistan’s foreign service has long needed reform to be able to adapt to global changes and leverage opportunities in a more multipolar world.

Editorial

Eid amidst crises
Updated 31 Mar, 2025

Eid amidst crises

Until the Muslim world takes practical steps to end these atrocities, these besieged populations will see no joy.
Women’s rights
Updated 01 Apr, 2025

Women’s rights

Such judgements, and others directly impacting women’s rights should be given more airtime in media.
Not helping
Updated 02 Apr, 2025

Not helping

If it's committed to peace in Balochistan, the state must draw a line between militancy and legitimate protest.
Hard habits
Updated 30 Mar, 2025

Hard habits

Their job is to ensure that social pressures do not build to the point where problems like militancy and terrorism become a national headache.
Dreams of gold
30 Mar, 2025

Dreams of gold

PROSPECTS of the Reko Diq project taking off soon seem to have brightened lately following the completion of the...
No invitation
30 Mar, 2025

No invitation

FOR all of Pakistan’s hockey struggles, including their failure to qualify for the Olympics and World Cup as well...