Balochistan govt justifies crackdown on BYC protest

Published April 3, 2025 Updated April 3, 2025 10:25am
Quetta Deputy Commissioner Saad bin Asad (L), DIG Quetta Aitzaz Goraya (C) and Balochistan government spokesperson Shahid Rind (R) address a joint press conference at the Quetta CCPO Office on April 2. — DawnNewsTV
Quetta Deputy Commissioner Saad bin Asad (L), DIG Quetta Aitzaz Goraya (C) and Balochistan government spokesperson Shahid Rind (R) address a joint press conference at the Quetta CCPO Office on April 2. — DawnNewsTV

• Spokesperson says negotiations still underway to resolve crisis
• DIG Quetta says 61 individuals arrested under MPO
• 35 detained minors released after parents provided assurances

QUETTA: The Balochistan government on Wednesday defended its actions in response to the protests led by the Baloch Yakjehti Committee (BYC), calling the demonstrations illegal, though officials stressed that negotiations remain in progress to resolve the crisis.

Speaking at a joint press conference, Balochistan government spokesperson Shahid Rind and DIG Quetta Aitzaz Ahsan Goraya said that while the right to peaceful protest is constitutionally guaranteed, maintaining law and order and public safety is paramount.

Mr Rind said that following the attack on the Jafar Express on 11 March, a clearance operation was launched and continued for nearly 24 hours. The next day, BYC activists attempted to exhume bodies from a graveyard after burial, which triggered protests and led to the blockade of Sariab Road and other areas for over 12 hours, he added.

The spokesperson reiterated that while the government respects the right to protest, the location and manner of demonstrations must be determined by district authorities — something the BYC has consistently refused to acknowledge.

DIG Goraya detailed the events following the Jaffar Express attack, claiming that five bodies were brought to the Civil Hospital on March 14. When Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif visited Quetta on March 19, BYC members arrived at the hospital to claim the bodies, but were asked to call the legal heirs.

Mr Goraya questioned who could legally claim the bodies of members of the banned Balochistan Liberation Army (BLA). He claimed that the protesters attempted to forcibly remove the bodies, damaging hospital property in the process.

He said that the BYC’s so-called peaceful protest resulted in significant damage to public property, including the destruction of 36 CCTV cameras, 18 utility poles, the main gate of Balochistan University and the burning of a post office. Additionally, an attempt was made to loot a bank.

In response, police were compelled to use tear gas. During the turmoil, the BYC placed three bodies on Sariab Road and alleged that police firing had killed them. Mr Goraya dismissed the claim, questioning why random bystanders would be hit if the police had actually opened fire.

Families of the deceased reportedly sought the return of their loved ones’ bodies and distanced themselves from the BYC, but protesters allegedly pressured them into continuing the demonstration. Some even surrounded the victims’ homes in an attempt to force their participation.

Mr Goraya further stated that a total of 61 individuals were arrested under the Maintenance of Public Order (MPO) Act, with 13 placed under judicial remand. However, 35 minors detained during the protests were released after their parents provided assurances. He also highlighted that past BYC demonstrations have led to the burning of 13 police vehicles and injuries to officers.

On the political front, Mr Rind confirmed that the BNP’s long march from Wadh to Quetta had been restricted due to security concerns, and the party was invited to an in-camera session to discuss the law and order situation.

He added that internet services were suspended due to security threats and that the authorities are investigating the Mastung attack, which, if successful, could have had severe consequences for Pakistan.

Addressing concerns about banning the BYC, Mr Rind stated that he was unaware of any such decision, emphasising that the courts are available to provide legal relief where necessary. The government, he assured, remains open to dialogue but will not allow the destruction of public property in the name of protests.

Published in Dawn, April 3rd, 2025

Opinion

Editorial

More than words
Updated 04 Apr, 2025

More than words

Holistic development can only work when there is organic and credible political activity in the province.
Poor publicity
04 Apr, 2025

Poor publicity

FORTUNE does not seem to be favouring the PTI — at least not yet. With the party’s founder confined from public...
Party pooper
04 Apr, 2025

Party pooper

INDIA’s role of a spoilsport is tiresome. From pulling books from shelves, such as Wendy Doniger’s The Hindus: ...
Canal unrest
Updated 03 Apr, 2025

Canal unrest

With rising water scarcity in Indus system, it is crucial to move towards a consensus-driven policymaking process.
Iran-US tension
03 Apr, 2025

Iran-US tension

THE Trump administration’s threats aimed at Iran do not bode well for global peace, and unless Washington changes...
Flights to history
03 Apr, 2025

Flights to history

MOHENJODARO could have been the forgotten gold we desperately need. Instead, this 5,000-year-old well of antiquity ...