PESHAWAR, Jan 11: Former MNA Nasser Mohammad Maidadkhel has challenged former Lakki Marwat district nazim Humayun Saifullah Khan’s candidature for NA-27 in the Peshawar High Court.

Mr Maidadkhel filed a writ petition on Friday stating that Pakistan Muslim League-Q candidate Mr Saifullah should be disqualified from polls since at the time of filing of his nomination papers he had been the district nazim.

The Election Commission, Lakki Marwat district returning officer, NA-27 returning officer and Mr Saifullah were named respondents in the petition.

The petitioner stated that Mr Saifullah had been the district nazim when the election schedule was announced. He said that under Section-158 of the NWFP Local Government Ordinance, 2001, a sitting nazim could not contest for a political office and Mr Saifullah should have relinquished his post before filing his papers.

The petitioner said the last date for filing the papers was November 26 while Mr Saifullah claimed to have tendered his resignation on November 24.

Opinion

Editorial

Electricity relief
05 Apr, 2025

Electricity relief

FINALLY, some tangible relief. With the worst of the inflationary storm now behind us, the government’s decision ...
Trump’s trade wars
05 Apr, 2025

Trump’s trade wars

THE so-called reciprocal tariffs rolled out recently by American President Donald Trump have expanded his vicious...
Legalised land grab
05 Apr, 2025

Legalised land grab

THE Modi government has passed a new bill targeting the Muslim community, this time eyeing swathes of priceless real...
More than words
Updated 04 Apr, 2025

More than words

Holistic development can only work when there is organic and credible political activity in the province.
Poor publicity
04 Apr, 2025

Poor publicity

FORTUNE does not seem to be favouring the PTI — at least not yet. With the party’s founder confined from public...
Party pooper
04 Apr, 2025

Party pooper

INDIA’s role of a spoilsport is tiresome. From pulling books from shelves, such as Wendy Doniger’s The Hindus: ...