Shahzain Bugti
Jamhori Watan Party leader, Shah Zain Bugti makes victory sign at his vehicle prior to JWP long march at Bugti House in Quetta on Friday, January 28, 2011. - APP Photo

QUETTA: Nawabzada Shahzain Bugti, the provincial chief of Jamhoori Watan Party (JWP), could not mount a “long march” on Dera Bugti on Friday as police blocked all roads leading to and from his residence here. The Balochistan government had imposed restrictions on the movement of Shahzain Bugti and his brother Ghoram Bugti for 90 days under the Maintenance of Public Order law.

The orders of the home department were served on him on Thursday night and heavy contingents of police had been deployed to restrict his movement.

Talking to reporters at his house, Shahzain said he might challenge the order in the high court. “There is no justification for restricting my movements within Quetta. I am going to my home (in Dera Bugti) in a peaceful march,” he said.

He expressed the hope that the court would allow him to go to Dera Bugti. He said he would not abandon his plans and would try again on Saturday to start the march.

The JWP leader said people belonging to his tribe and party had gathered at his residence after Friday prayers, but police cordoned off the area with barricades and armoured vehicles and did not let his party's vehicles to leave for the march.

When the Deputy Inspector General of Police (Operations), Hamid Shakeel, informed Shahzain and his brother that they could not leave the provincial capital, the JWP leader said women and children should be allowed to go to Dera Bugti.

The authorities informed him about two hours later that the government could not allow them to go to Dera Bugti because of security reasons and tightened the blockade of roads leading to his house.

However, Ghoram Bugti said late in the night that the women and children would leave for Dera Bugti on Saturday. Official sources said they would not be allowed to move towards Dera Bugti without security clearance.

“He is free to move within Quetta city,” Home Secretary Akbar Hussain Durrani said.

Opinion

First line of defence

First line of defence

Pakistan’s foreign service has long needed reform to be able to adapt to global changes and leverage opportunities in a more multipolar world.

Editorial

Eid amidst crises
Updated 31 Mar, 2025

Eid amidst crises

Until the Muslim world takes practical steps to end these atrocities, these besieged populations will see no joy.
Women’s rights
Updated 01 Apr, 2025

Women’s rights

Such judgements, and others directly impacting women’s rights should be given more airtime in media.
Not helping
Updated 02 Apr, 2025

Not helping

If it's committed to peace in Balochistan, the state must draw a line between militancy and legitimate protest.
Hard habits
Updated 30 Mar, 2025

Hard habits

Their job is to ensure that social pressures do not build to the point where problems like militancy and terrorism become a national headache.
Dreams of gold
30 Mar, 2025

Dreams of gold

PROSPECTS of the Reko Diq project taking off soon seem to have brightened lately following the completion of the...
No invitation
30 Mar, 2025

No invitation

FOR all of Pakistan’s hockey struggles, including their failure to qualify for the Olympics and World Cup as well...