Shah voices concern over APC delay

Published July 11, 2013
The Leader of Opposition in the National Assembly, Syed Khursheed Ahmed Shah.— File Photo
The Leader of Opposition in the National Assembly, Syed Khursheed Ahmed Shah.— File Photo

ISLAMABAD: The Leader of Opposition in the National Assembly, Syed Khursheed Ahmed Shah, expressed concern on Wednesday over the government’s decision to delay the proposed All Parties Conference on security.

Talking to reporters at the Parliament House, he said the decision to postpone the conference had created doubts in people’s minds.

He called upon the government to immediately convene the conference because security had become the biggest problem in the country.

About the reason cited for delaying the conference, Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf Chairman Imran Khan being out of the country, the PPP leader said the issue of national security should not be linked to one individual. Mr Khan should have given preference to the matter over his personal visit to the UK.

It was officially announced by the prime minister’s office earlier this month that the conference would be held on July 12 and Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan invited heads of various parties to attend it.

But the government changed its decision and said July 12 was only a proposed date and that the meeting had been delayed due to unavailability of some political leaders, including the PTI chief.

The opposition leader refused to comment on the leaked report of the Abbottabad Commission, saying that it was not appropriate for him to comment on a report that had not been officially provided to him.

He demanded an inquiry to determine who had leaked the report on a sensitive issue.

Answering a question about the nomination of chairman of the National Accountability Bureau (NAB), he said he could change the nomination if there was any legal complication about the appointment of one of his nominees.

Mr Shah has proposed the names of retired Justice Rana Bhagwandas and retired Justice Sardar Mohammad Raza for the post. He did so in response to a letter sent by the prime minister to him on July 2, nominating retired Justice Rehmat Hussain Jaffery and former federal secretary Khawaja Zaheer Ahmed for the office.

The post of NAB chairman fell vacant in May when a five-member bench of the Supreme Court, headed by Justice Tassadduq Hussain Jilani, declared the appointment of retired Admiral Fasih Bokhari as void.

Meanwhile, Jamiat Ulema-i-Islam chief Maulana Fazlur Rehman said on Wednesday that the Abbottabad Commission report had failed to fix responsibility for security lapses on the country’s western borders. The report had generally held the political and military leadership responsible, he said in a statement.

“It should have clearly spelt out why radars were in sleeping mode on the eve of the raid on the residence of Osama bin Laden,” he said, adding that the report should have recommended “rolling of some heads”.

The report, he said, had failed to establish how the CIA had a vast intelligence network in the country.

Opinion

Editorial

More than words
Updated 04 Apr, 2025

More than words

Holistic development can only work when there is organic and credible political activity in the province.
Poor publicity
04 Apr, 2025

Poor publicity

FORTUNE does not seem to be favouring the PTI — at least not yet. With the party’s founder confined from public...
Party pooper
04 Apr, 2025

Party pooper

INDIA’s role of a spoilsport is tiresome. From pulling books from shelves, such as Wendy Doniger’s The Hindus: ...
Canal unrest
Updated 03 Apr, 2025

Canal unrest

With rising water scarcity in Indus system, it is crucial to move towards a consensus-driven policymaking process.
Iran-US tension
03 Apr, 2025

Iran-US tension

THE Trump administration’s threats aimed at Iran do not bode well for global peace, and unless Washington changes...
Flights to history
03 Apr, 2025

Flights to history

MOHENJODARO could have been the forgotten gold we desperately need. Instead, this 5,000-year-old well of antiquity ...