Pakistani Taliban say still at war with government

Published September 17, 2013
Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan fighters at an undisclosed location - File Photo
Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan fighters at an undisclosed location - File Photo

PESHAWAR: The Pakistani Taliban on Tuesday insisted they were still at war with government troops because peace talks have yet to start and the military is still launching multiple offensives against them.

The statement came a day after Pakistan’s Chief of Army Staff General Ashfaq Kayani said militants would not be allowed to take advantage of the offer for peace talks.

Earlier on Sunday, two senior military officers were killed by a remote controlled explosive device in the northwestern province of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, where the military is fighting Al Qaeda and Taliban-led militants.

“War is continuing, it was started by the government and they will have to stop it,” Shahidullah Shahid, the main spokesman for the Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), declared from an undisclosed location.

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has called for peace talks, and managed to win the backing from main political parties last week.

However, hopes that the talks would go ahead were dealt a blow when an IED (improvised explosive device) exploded in Upper Dir on Sunday and killed three soldiers, including a major-general.

Analysts said the attack endangered the proposed peace talks with the insurgent group.

Moreover, former cricketer turned politician Imran Khan who heads Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI) on Monday called for ceasefire by the government and Taliban militants along with immediate formation of delegations to kick-off talks.

The Taliban have said that they would carry out more attacks because peace talks have yet to be officially proposed.

“No one has contacted us for peace talks, not even a tribal jirga has approached us. If they (government) want to end this war, they will have to announce a ceasefire,” Shahid said.

The Taliban on Sunday announced preconditions for talks on ending the insurgency that has killed thousands of people, demanding that troops withdraw from tribal areas and that prisoners are freed.

But Pakistan's military, in turn, insisted they would not let Taliban rebels set conditions for peace talks.

When the TTP spokesman was asked about his group's future plans after the attack which killed the officers, he said: “We will never miss any opportunity to attack the army like that.”

Previous peace deals with the Taliban have quickly broken down and been sharply criticised for allowing the extremists time to regroup for fresh attacks.

An editorial in this newspaper today said that although General Kayani spoke bluntly “about not caving in to the demands of terrorists” and underlined the military’s resolve “to defeat the terrorists”, words alone would not suffice.

Pakistan says more than 40,000 people have been killed in bomb and suicide attacks staged by the Taliban and Al Qaeda-led militants who oppose Islamabad's US alliance.

Opinion

Editorial

More than words
Updated 04 Apr, 2025

More than words

Holistic development can only work when there is organic and credible political activity in the province.
Poor publicity
04 Apr, 2025

Poor publicity

FORTUNE does not seem to be favouring the PTI — at least not yet. With the party’s founder confined from public...
Party pooper
04 Apr, 2025

Party pooper

INDIA’s role of a spoilsport is tiresome. From pulling books from shelves, such as Wendy Doniger’s The Hindus: ...
Canal unrest
Updated 03 Apr, 2025

Canal unrest

With rising water scarcity in Indus system, it is crucial to move towards a consensus-driven policymaking process.
Iran-US tension
03 Apr, 2025

Iran-US tension

THE Trump administration’s threats aimed at Iran do not bode well for global peace, and unless Washington changes...
Flights to history
03 Apr, 2025

Flights to history

MOHENJODARO could have been the forgotten gold we desperately need. Instead, this 5,000-year-old well of antiquity ...