Drone strike kills eight militants on Khyber Agency border

Published December 19, 2014
Intelligence sources said the drone targeted a militant compound in Cort Village of Nazyan, completely destroying the compound. - AFP/File
Intelligence sources said the drone targeted a militant compound in Cort Village of Nazyan, completely destroying the compound. - AFP/File

PESHAWAR: At least eight suspected militants were killed in a US drone strike in the Nazyan district of Afghanistan's Nangarhar province, on the zero line bordering Khyber Agency.

Intelligence sources said the drone targeted a militant compound in Cort Village of Nazyan, completely destroying the compound. Aside from the eight dead, scores of others were reportedly injured on the zero line, which has been serving as a safe haven for the Mullah Fazllullah led Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP).

According to security officials, militants based in the Nazyan district had planned the devastating attack on the Army Public School in Peshawar, which left over 140 children and teachers dead and scores injured.

More on this: Militant siege of Peshawar school ends, 141 killed

Soon after the attack in Peshawar, army chief General Raheel Sharif in an unscheduled visit to Kabul had been given assurances by the Afghan government as well as the International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan (Isaf) for action against a Kunar-based Taliban splinter group which is believed to have been behind the attack.

Read more: Peshawar attack: Afghanistan, Isaf promise action against Taliban group

The strikes against militants have increased on both sides of the border since the attack.

Pakistani security forces have also been carrying out ground offensives in Khyber Agency, particularly the Tirah Valley of Bara which borders Nazyan.

A military operation titled 'Khyber One' which was launched in October by security forces and aimed at targeting militants in Khyber Agency’s Bara area is also underway in the northwestern tribal region.

Read further: Nine killed as military operation launched in Khyber

Eighteen militants were killed in the ground offensive last night in Khyber Agency, while early Friday morning, an operation killed at least 50 terrorists in the Wurmagai and Spurkot areas of Tirah valley while they were moving towards Afghanistan. The militants fled leaving behind the dead bodies of their companions – photos of which have been circulating on social media.

Three security personnel were also injured in the gun battle.

Opinion

Editorial

More than words
04 Apr, 2025

More than words

Holistic development can only work when there is organic and credible political activity in the province.
Poor publicity
04 Apr, 2025

Poor publicity

FORTUNE does not seem to be favouring the PTI — at least not yet. With the party’s founder confined from public...
Party pooper
04 Apr, 2025

Party pooper

INDIA’s role of a spoilsport is tiresome. From pulling books from shelves, such as Wendy Doniger’s The Hindus: ...
Canal unrest
Updated 03 Apr, 2025

Canal unrest

With rising water scarcity in Indus system, it is crucial to move towards a consensus-driven policymaking process.
Iran-US tension
03 Apr, 2025

Iran-US tension

THE Trump administration’s threats aimed at Iran do not bode well for global peace, and unless Washington changes...
Flights to history
03 Apr, 2025

Flights to history

MOHENJODARO could have been the forgotten gold we desperately need. Instead, this 5,000-year-old well of antiquity ...