Lynching victims had no suspicious links: police

Published March 19, 2015
Nauman Babar (L) and Naeem (R) who were lynched and burned to death by protesters after the twin Church blasts had no affiliation with any militant organisation, police said. -Dawn/File
Nauman Babar (L) and Naeem (R) who were lynched and burned to death by protesters after the twin Church blasts had no affiliation with any militant organisation, police said. -Dawn/File

LAHORE: The two men burned to death by rioters after the twin suicide blasts had no affiliation with any militant organisation, police said on Wednesday.

Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Investigations Rana Ayyaz Saleem told Dawn that initial inquiries revealed that the two men who were beaten to death and torched by the enraged protesters belonged to working class.

“The identity of Naeem and Nauman Babar has yet to be ascertained scientifically. We are awaiting DNA test reports. However, no connection of the deceased men has been found with any banned or militant organisation,” said Mr Saleem.

The SSP said that through the internal information channels the police had sent some pictures of the rioters to the National Database and Registration Authority (Nadra) in order to identify the protesters who were involved in torching the men.

He said two families had approached the police and claimed that they had recognised the victims lynched by the protesters after watching TV channels.

Answering a question, the SSP said no team had been formed to identify or arrest the rioters involved in lynching the two men and damaging public and private property. No one had been nominated in the six cases registered in the Nishter Colony police station on Tuesday -- two for suicide attacks, one each for damaging public and private property besides killing three protesters in an accident.

“The state and a brother of Naeem are the complainants in separate cases registered against lynching and burning the two men,” said the SSP.

Meanwhile, a youngster who was hit and injured by a speeding car on Ferozepur Road during Tuesday’s protests succumbed to his wounds at the Lahore General Hospital. The victim was identified as Amir, 15, of Yohannabad.

The Anjuman-i-Tajran Ferozepur Road announced shutter-down strike for Thursday (today) to protest Nauman Babar’s lynching.

Published in Dawn, March 19th, 2015

On a mobile phone? Get the Dawn Mobile App: Apple Store | Google Play

Opinion

Editorial

More than words
Updated 04 Apr, 2025

More than words

Holistic development can only work when there is organic and credible political activity in the province.
Poor publicity
04 Apr, 2025

Poor publicity

FORTUNE does not seem to be favouring the PTI — at least not yet. With the party’s founder confined from public...
Party pooper
04 Apr, 2025

Party pooper

INDIA’s role of a spoilsport is tiresome. From pulling books from shelves, such as Wendy Doniger’s The Hindus: ...
Canal unrest
Updated 03 Apr, 2025

Canal unrest

With rising water scarcity in Indus system, it is crucial to move towards a consensus-driven policymaking process.
Iran-US tension
03 Apr, 2025

Iran-US tension

THE Trump administration’s threats aimed at Iran do not bode well for global peace, and unless Washington changes...
Flights to history
03 Apr, 2025

Flights to history

MOHENJODARO could have been the forgotten gold we desperately need. Instead, this 5,000-year-old well of antiquity ...