At least 13 killed as rockslide hits shacks in Karachi

Published October 13, 2015
A Rangers man surveys the destruction caused by the rockslide. ─ White Star
A Rangers man surveys the destruction caused by the rockslide. ─ White Star
Rescue teams undertaking rescue operations at the site of the rockslide. ─ DawnNews screengrab.
Rescue teams undertaking rescue operations at the site of the rockslide. ─ DawnNews screengrab.
─ DawnNews screengrab.
─ DawnNews screengrab.

KARACHI: At least 13 people, including seven children died as a rockslide hit shanties erected in Karachi's Gulistan-i-Jauhar area early Tuesday, rescue sources said.

Rescue teams at the site of the incident. ─ DawnNews screengrab.
Rescue teams at the site of the incident. ─ DawnNews screengrab.

Rescue teams reached the site of the incident and recovered the bodies of three women, three men and seven children from beneath the rubble.

Rangers and police personnel also arrived at the scene and participated in the rescue operation.

Heavy machinery was called in to help clear the area as the rocks hit shacks built on a plot in Gulistan-i-Jauhar's Block 1 area.

Two families comprising 13 people were living in the shanties hit by the rockslide, area residents said.

The recovered bodies have been shifted to Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre (JPMC) for legal formalities.

Commissioner Karachi Shoaib Ahmed Siddiqui and Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) leaders Faisal Sabzwari and Muhammad Hussain visited the site and inquired about the rescue operation.

Rescue teams undertaking rescue operations at the site of the rockslide. ─ DawnNews screengrab.
Rescue teams undertaking rescue operations at the site of the rockslide. ─ DawnNews screengrab.

Speaking to the press, Shoaib Siddiqui said that the administration was making efforts to rescue the survivors, if any.

He said heavy machinery had been engaged to clear the rubble, but that no time frame could be provided for completion of the rescue operation.

When asked about allegations of china-cutting of the land, Shoaib Siddiqui told DawnNews he had directed the Karachi Municipal Corporation land department to investigate the matter and submit a report immediately so that appropriate action could be taken.

He said the matter was not clear as yet, and he could only confirm once he received the record.

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has expressed grief over the incident and instructed authorities to aid the families of the victims, Pakistan Television reported.

Also read: Three labourers killed, three buried under debris on Margalla Hills

Opinion

Editorial

More than words
Updated 04 Apr, 2025

More than words

Holistic development can only work when there is organic and credible political activity in the province.
Poor publicity
04 Apr, 2025

Poor publicity

FORTUNE does not seem to be favouring the PTI — at least not yet. With the party’s founder confined from public...
Party pooper
04 Apr, 2025

Party pooper

INDIA’s role of a spoilsport is tiresome. From pulling books from shelves, such as Wendy Doniger’s The Hindus: ...
Canal unrest
Updated 03 Apr, 2025

Canal unrest

With rising water scarcity in Indus system, it is crucial to move towards a consensus-driven policymaking process.
Iran-US tension
03 Apr, 2025

Iran-US tension

THE Trump administration’s threats aimed at Iran do not bode well for global peace, and unless Washington changes...
Flights to history
03 Apr, 2025

Flights to history

MOHENJODARO could have been the forgotten gold we desperately need. Instead, this 5,000-year-old well of antiquity ...