President Arif Alvi, Bilawal Bhutto visit Quetta to offer condolences to Hazara community

Published April 16, 2019
President Arif Alvi expresses his regrets at the devastating terrorist attack in Quetta.— DawnNewsTV
President Arif Alvi expresses his regrets at the devastating terrorist attack in Quetta.— DawnNewsTV

President Arif Alvi on Tuesday met with the bereaved families of the victims of the Hazarganji bombing which claimed 20 lives in Quetta on Friday.

Members of the Shia Hazara community, protesting against the Hazarganji suicide bombing, had ended their sit-in late last night after receiving assurances from Balochistan Chief Minister Jam Kamal Alyani and State Minister for Interior Sheharyar Afridi.

Condoling with the victims' families, the president offered prayers for the departed souls. According to Radio Pakistan, President Alvi said that "Hazarganji-like conspiracies have failed to create a wedge in our society".

He said that the entire nation stands by the Hazara community in this hour of grief.

Earlier, talking to media persons in Quetta, the president had reaffirmed the government's commitment towards the implementation of the National Action Plan.

He also commended the Balochistan government for announcing a compensation package for the victims of the Hazarganji terrorist attack, many of whom were small traders.

While the president acknowledged that no amount of compensation could match the loss of lives, he hoped the package would address the most immediate problems faced by the bereaved families. He also acknowledged that it was the responsibility of the state to protect the lives of its people and expressed remorse for the incident.

The president said that, despite many challenges, the Pakistani nation stands united.

He also promised that Prime Minister Imran Khan will soon visit Balochistan.

Bilawal Bhutto visits victims' families

PPP Chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari also visited Quetta and offered his condolences to the Hazarganji victims' families.

He said that NAP had been created with the consensus of all political parties and it was the government's job to implement it.

"On one hand they say the government is standing with the victims of the incident, and on the other a video exists where a federal minister is seen giving assurances to murderers and saying that no one will be able to touch them," Bilawal said.

"Till when will have these dual standards, till when will this terrorism continue?" he asked, adding that the victims of terrorism are the ones who need to be mainstreamed, "not terrorists."

“No one can fight extremism alone, but we have to decide for the future. We need to fight this extremist mindset. When we ask for justice, we are called an enemy of the state. When I speak against banned organisations, I’m branded an enemy of the state," Bilawal said while speaking to the media.

Opinion

Editorial

More than words
Updated 04 Apr, 2025

More than words

Holistic development can only work when there is organic and credible political activity in the province.
Poor publicity
04 Apr, 2025

Poor publicity

FORTUNE does not seem to be favouring the PTI — at least not yet. With the party’s founder confined from public...
Party pooper
04 Apr, 2025

Party pooper

INDIA’s role of a spoilsport is tiresome. From pulling books from shelves, such as Wendy Doniger’s The Hindus: ...
Canal unrest
Updated 03 Apr, 2025

Canal unrest

With rising water scarcity in Indus system, it is crucial to move towards a consensus-driven policymaking process.
Iran-US tension
03 Apr, 2025

Iran-US tension

THE Trump administration’s threats aimed at Iran do not bode well for global peace, and unless Washington changes...
Flights to history
03 Apr, 2025

Flights to history

MOHENJODARO could have been the forgotten gold we desperately need. Instead, this 5,000-year-old well of antiquity ...