KARACHI: Fans had begun filling up the stands at the National Stadium, the anticipation building for the first match of the eighth edition of the HBL Pakistan Super League at the venue on Tuesday. Some carried Pakistan flags, others showed allegiance to the teams they were supporting. On the ground, players of Karachi Kings and Peshawar Zalmi warmed up for the clash. Some played football, others did light exercises.

Expectation simmering in the stands, plans for the future of the glitzy T20 extravaganza were being discussed in the closed press conference room. An hour before the start of the game, an impromptu news conference was announced with Pakistan Cricket Board interim management committee chairman Najam Sethi arriving alongside the digital broadcast rights holder for the PSL.

It’s been over a month since the interim management committee was installed for a 120-day period in which it has to hold elections, the move seeing the end of Ramiz Raja’s time as PCB chief. Sethi is the de facto chairman for the time and still revelling in the opening ceremony of the country’s marquee tournament in Multan on Monday, said he wanted to make it “bigger and better”.

Sethi was the league’s chairman when its inaugural edition was held in 2016 before becoming PCB chief the following year. The PSL has since grown into one of the top leagues around the world, only second to the Indian Premier League. Now back at the helm, Sethi outlined his ambitions. “My plan is to put more money into the PSL,” he told reporters. “We hope to bring more foreign players and bring through more domestic talent.”

There was no hiding about the fact that the PSL is PCB’s money-spinning venture. While the representative of the digital broadcast rights holder noted the fact that the league’s viewership went to far flung areas of the country, Sethi joked that the money being made by the rights holder would mean more capital for the PCB.

Once this season of the PSL reaches completion, it will be the first time that the league will be held across four centres of the country. “Organising it in four venues is a challenge, especially with Multan as the teams are staying in Lahore,” said Sethi. “With matches for the first stage being held in Multan and Karachi and then shifting to Lahore and Rawalpindi, we needed two production teams, which is a huge operation.”

But it hasn’t been without hiccups with the start of the opening match seeing a significant delay. But Sethi said he is “determined” to take the PSL to new centres. “We want to have PSL matches in Quetta and Peshawar with the security situation permitting.”

Quetta’s Bugti Stadium hosted an exhibition match between Zalmi and Quetta Gladiators, both teams consisting of local players only, last Sunday. Sethi said he was pleased at how the Bugti Stadium had been “transformed” for the game but added he couldn’t say the same about Peshawar’s Arbab Niaz Stadium.

“It’s in the same state as four years ago when I was last PCB chairman,” said Sethi. “But I believe if can take the PSL there, Peshawar will be a real winner.”

Published in Dawn, February 15th, 2023

Must Read

The day of the tariffs

The day of the tariffs

Watching the Trump tariffs roll in while our own prime minister congratulated himself, his team and the power of prayer for being able to pass through a power tariff cut inspired zero confidence.

Opinion

Editorial

More than words
Updated 04 Apr, 2025

More than words

Holistic development can only work when there is organic and credible political activity in the province.
Poor publicity
04 Apr, 2025

Poor publicity

FORTUNE does not seem to be favouring the PTI — at least not yet. With the party’s founder confined from public...
Party pooper
04 Apr, 2025

Party pooper

INDIA’s role of a spoilsport is tiresome. From pulling books from shelves, such as Wendy Doniger’s The Hindus: ...
Canal unrest
Updated 03 Apr, 2025

Canal unrest

With rising water scarcity in Indus system, it is crucial to move towards a consensus-driven policymaking process.
Iran-US tension
03 Apr, 2025

Iran-US tension

THE Trump administration’s threats aimed at Iran do not bode well for global peace, and unless Washington changes...
Flights to history
03 Apr, 2025

Flights to history

MOHENJODARO could have been the forgotten gold we desperately need. Instead, this 5,000-year-old well of antiquity ...