Court confirms Nicolas Sarkozy conviction, but softens sentence

Published February 15, 2024
PARIS: Former French president Nicolas Sarkozy arrives for the verdict on his appeal in the so-called ‘Bygmalion’ case over illegal campaign financing, on Wednesday.—AFP
PARIS: Former French president Nicolas Sarkozy arrives for the verdict on his appeal in the so-called ‘Bygmalion’ case over illegal campaign financing, on Wednesday.—AFP

PARIS: An appeals court on Wednesday confirmed a conviction for former French president Nicolas Sarkozy over illegal campaign financing, but lightened his original one-year prison sentence.

The court said he should serve six months, with another six months suspended. The ruling was still harsher than the one-year suspended sentence that prosecutors had called for.

It remains unlikely he would ever go to prison, with such short terms in France usually being served as a form of house arrest.

The Paris court of appeal was confirming a lower court’s guilty verdict for Sarkozy, who was convicted of hiding illegal overspending in his unsuccessful 2012 re-election campaign.

His lawyer Vincent Desry immediately said the combative ex-president would challenge the appeal verdict at France’s highest court.

“Mr Nicolas Sarkozy is fully innocent. He has taken note of this decision and he has decided to appeal to the Court of Cassation,” he told reporters. “He therefore maintains his fight, his position in this matter,” he added.

In the so-called “Bygmalion affair”, Sarkozy, 69, faced charges that his right-wing party, then known as the UMP, worked with a public relations firm to hide the true cost of his 2012 re-election bid.

When the court handed down its one-year jail term in 2021, he became France’s first post-World War II president to be sentenced to prison.

But the court specified that the sentence should take the form of electronically controlled house arrest rather than prison.

After Sarkozy appealed that sentence — one of 10 of the 13 defendants to do so — the appeal trial began in November last year. He has not so far served any jail time as his case has been winding its way through appeals.

The former French president has “vigorously” denied any wrongdoing, accusing the firm, Bygmalion, of having enriched itself behind his back.

Published in Dawn, February 15th, 2024

Opinion

Editorial

More than words
04 Apr, 2025

More than words

WITH Balochistan in tumult, the political class needs to heal the province’s wounds with sagacity and...
Poor publicity
04 Apr, 2025

Poor publicity

FORTUNE does not seem to be favouring the PTI — at least not yet. With the party’s founder confined from public...
Party pooper
04 Apr, 2025

Party pooper

INDIA’s role of a spoilsport is tiresome. From pulling books from shelves, such as Wendy Doniger’s The Hindus: ...
Canal unrest
Updated 03 Apr, 2025

Canal unrest

With rising water scarcity in Indus system, it is crucial to move towards a consensus-driven policymaking process.
Iran-US tension
03 Apr, 2025

Iran-US tension

THE Trump administration’s threats aimed at Iran do not bode well for global peace, and unless Washington changes...
Flights to history
03 Apr, 2025

Flights to history

MOHENJODARO could have been the forgotten gold we desperately need. Instead, this 5,000-year-old well of antiquity ...