-Photo by AFP

KARACHI: Bangladesh has confirmed that it will be sending its cricket team to Pakistan for a series later this month.

The two Asia Cup finalists will be playing one ODI on April 29 and one Twenty20 on April 30, both at Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore.

Bangladesh will be the first international team to tour Pakistan in three years. “I am pleased to confirm the tour in which Bangladesh will play a one-day match on April 29 and a Twenty20 game the next day, both in Lahore,” Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) president Mustafa Kamal said in a press release.

Pakistan's government had promised fool-proof security for the Bangladesh team after their security delegation assessed the situation here last month.

Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman Zaka Ashraf said the confirmation is a good sign.

“I am extremely pleased that Bangladesh has confirmed the tour. Obviously this is very important for us and we will leave no stone unturned to ensure that this tour takes place in a befitting manner,” said Ashraf.

Both the countries had started to show signs of bitterness after Bangladesh showed reluctance over the tour and Pakistan threatened to review relations if the tour doesn't take place.

PCB further said the remaining matches of the FTP (Future Tours Programme) tour will be played at dates mutually agreed between the two Boards at venues including Bangladesh.

Bangladesh was due for a full tour of Pakistan under the International Cricket Council (ICC) FTP in 2012.

The ICC said it will need a comprehensive security plan from Pakistan to send match officials.

“The ICC Board were informed that the tour will take place and the Board, having due regard to its duty of care to match officials and other ICC staff, requested that the PCB to immediately provide a comprehensive security plan for consideration,” the ICC said.

“Thereafter, the ICC's Anti Corruption and Security Unit will commission a localised risk assessment to determine whether its officials and staff are appropriately protected by the proposed security plan, before any further decision is taken in relation to their appointment.”

Last month, the ICC had announced a “special dispensation” to be made only in “exceptional circumstances” in order to ensure that a bilateral series take place even if the ruling body has determined it “unsafe” to appoint its officials for such series.

This would allow such series to be manned by “non-neutral match officials.”Kamal, who is a joint nominee of Pakistan-Bangladesh for the ICC vice president's post in 2012, said the series will give Pakistani people some cricket.

“The public of Pakistan have been deprived of cricket and we felt that we needed to support them. The reception we received when we toured Lahore and Karachi on our security visit was overwhelming.” said Kamal.

This tour is taking place after 2009 and this short tour will hopefully demonstrate to the world that cricket should start taking place in Pakistan,”said Kamal.

Opinion

Editorial

Not cricket
Updated 06 Apr, 2025

Not cricket

It is high time that the PCB sets things right; even if it demands a complete overhaul of the system.
Balochistan deadlock
Updated 06 Apr, 2025

Balochistan deadlock

Akhtar Mengal’s demands to release women activists should seriously be considered.
Escalating brutality
Updated 06 Apr, 2025

Escalating brutality

The world’s patience is running out. Israel must be held accountable under international law for war crimes.
Electricity relief
Updated 05 Apr, 2025

Electricity relief

If govt ensures that requisite power reforms are implemented, it will earn much praise for reforming a vital segment of the economy.
Trump’s trade wars
Updated 05 Apr, 2025

Trump’s trade wars

Shoddy math applied by US to indiscriminately penalise its trading partners signals the end of an era of global trade liberalisation.
Legalised land grab
Updated 05 Apr, 2025

Legalised land grab

The Modi government from its inception has been attacking India’s minorities, the largest such community in its crosshairs being the Muslims.