QUETTA: The government of Balochistan has made an appeal to all Baloch separatist groups to bring a halt to attacks in earthquake-affected areas of the province.

The death toll from a massive earthquake that jolted southwest Pakistan on Tuesday has risen to 356, with officials saying that thousands have been left homeless and about 300,000 people had been affected in remote parts of the province.

Addressing a press conference on Thursday night, Jan Muhammad Buledi, the Spokesman for Balochistan government said attacks at security forces in Awaran district was affecting relief and rescue operation in the area.

“People will die of hunger, if the attacks continued,” Buledi said. He said the Baloch separatists must stop attacks in view of the miserable plight of the earthquake survivors in the area.

“Women and children are in desperate need of help,” he said.

Buledi's appeal has come after rocket attack at the helicopter carrying chairman National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), Major General Alam Saeed and firing at a convoy of Frontier Corps (FC) earlier on Thursday.

Opinion

Editorial

External woes
Updated 21 May, 2026

External woes

Relying indefinitely on remittances to offset structural economic weaknesses is not sustainable.
Political activity
21 May, 2026

Political activity

THE opposition is astir. There is talk of widespread protests this Friday over a list of dissatisfactions with the...
Seizing hope
21 May, 2026

Seizing hope

ISRAEL’S tyranny knows no bounds. After intercepting the Global Sumud Flotilla that set sail last week, disturbing...
Hormuz gamble
20 May, 2026

Hormuz gamble

The Strait of Hormuz has become the real centre of the confrontation.
The unkindest cut
20 May, 2026

The unkindest cut

SUICIDE, a complex symptom of deep despair triggered by mental health problems, is hardly a moral issue. Punitive...
Ad hoc culture
20 May, 2026

Ad hoc culture

THE Supreme Court’s ruling against prolonged ad hoc and acting appointments is an indictment of a deeply ...